Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
Senior Wildfire Officer, Operations
$71,298.93 - $81,387.14 annually
A great opportunity to take the next step in your career
The BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) is a unique program of government tasked with the responsibility of preventing and managing wildfire on the landscape. With a workforce of approximately 1600 the program’s staff are dedicated to undertaking the BCWS mandate in delivering effective wildfire management and emergency response support to protect values, while encouraging sustainable, healthy and resilient ecosystems.
The Senior Wildfire Officer, Operations is responsible for preparing, preventing, detecting and responding to wildfires through the administration of operational resources in the Coastal Fire Centre. In this role, you supervise staff including assignment of work, development and evaluation of performance plans and approval of leave. If this position interests you and you meet the required criteria, we look forward to your application.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Qualifications for this role include:
- Degree in a field related to forestry, resource management, or equivalent knowledge plus three (3) years recent related experience; OR,
- Technical diploma in a field related to forestry, resource management or equivalent knowledge plus five (5) years recent related experience; OR,
- Grade 12 plus seven (7) years related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and related experience; AND,
- Related experience is defined as operations management or other disciplines related to natural resource management.
- Minimum three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in program and/or project management.
- Experience working on land and resource management issues.
- Preference may be given to candidates with experience administering budgets.
- Preference may be given to candidates who have senior Fireline Certification (ex. Type 2 or higher).
- Valid Class 5 driver licence.
For more information and to apply online by August 16, 2020, please go to: